WSK Meetings are held monthly (except July and December) on the first Wednesday of each month from 6:30-8:30 pm.
Meetings are open to members and non-members alike. We share ideas and experiences, talk about trips,
learn about kayak related issues in our communities, discuss safety topics and listen to wonderful guest speakers.
See below for more information on upcoming meetings.
- December 3 - we will have our annual WSK Holiday Party.
- January 3 - we will meet at the Sports Basement in Sunnyvale.
Meetings are held at Sports Basement, 1177 Kern Avenue, Sunnyvale, 408-732-0300.
In July we have a WSK Picnic and the December meeting is replaced by a Holiday Party.
Click for Google Map of Sports Basement Location
Typically, light refreshments are provided at the meeting. For those wishing something more substantial, there are several nearby
restaurants that have been recommended by members. Across the street
on Lawrence are an Indian buffet, a Vietnamese restaurant and a
taqueria. Also nearby are a pizzeria and the Faultline Brewery. St.
John’s Bar and Grill on Lawrence offers half price burgers on
Wednesdays between 4:00 PM and 9:30 PM and their “happy hour” special
is half priced Margaritas.
- November 2017 - Mark Hollar and Lisa Corley talked about paddling gear for trip leaders and trip participants.
- October 2017 - Andy Walters talked about kayaking in Mendocino.
- September 2017 - Dick Lampman talked about trip planning.
- August 2017 - Kelly Henry and Laura Zulliger described their adventures paddling and teaching in Taiwan.
- July 2017 - was our annual WSK Picnic in Half Moon Bay
- June 2017 - we had a talk by Jennifer Yearley of River and Ocean about becoming a BCU 5 star coach.
- May 2017 - we will had presentations from two organizations about volunteer opportunities for Kayakers: Shared Adventures (fun for people with disabilities) and Team River Runner (disabled veterans).
- April 2017 - we had a presentation by Sean Denny of the Seabird Protection Network
- March 2017 - we had a presentation on surf kayaking by Dennis Judson
- February 2017 - Kim Granfield spoke about his trip to Tahiti.
- January 2017 - Ben Botkin, Water/Bay Trail Planner for the Association of Bay Area Governments, spoke about the Bay Area Water Trail and recent developments.
- December 2016 - Holiday Party
- November 2016 - Kelly Marie Henry of Rivers and Oceans talked about Barriers to Entry - Women in Paddlesports.
- October 2016 - we had a presentation by Andy Walters on Yellow Bluff and Tide Races.
- September 2016 - we had a presentation by Kim Grandfield on Sea Kayaks in the Grand Canyon.
- August 2016 - we had a presentation about leading trips for beginning paddlers.
- July 2016 - was our annual WSK Picnic in Half Moon Bay.
- June 2016 - we had a presentation about Volunteer Opportunities for Kayakers.
- May 2016 - we had our second WSK gear swap.
- April 2016 - we had a presentation by Roger Schumann - Getting Started Rockgarden Paddling
- March 2016 - Best of the Bay Area - best paddles meeting various criteria
- February 2016 - we had presentations about "Dress for Immersion"
- January 2016 - we had a presentation by Kim Grandfield on paddling California's Lost Coast.
- December 2015 - Holiday Party
- November 2015 - we had video presentations by WSK members Steve Ochoa and Itay Bahar.
- October 2015 - Diana Van Konynenburg talked about ultra-light gear for kayaking camping.
- September 2015 - we had a presentation by Peter Donohue on Whale Watching.
- August 2015 - we had a presentation by Mark Hollar about the Baja Kayak Festival.
- July 2015 - was our annual WSK Picnic in Half Moon Bay.
- June 2015 - we had a presentation from Meade Fischer on his books about and travels along the California coast.
- May 2015 - we had our annual new paddlers meeting.
- April 2015 - we had a presentation by Barbara Kossy about Paddle California.
- March 2015 - we had a presentation by Kenny Howell about surf skis.
- February 2015 - we had a talk about California's Lost Cost by Jeff Laxier.
- January 2015 - We had several presentations by WSK members around Gadgets for the Sea Kayaker.
- December 2014 - Holiday Party
- November 2014 - We had two presentations: Team OCEAN (Ocean Conservation Education Action Network) puts naturalists on the water in Monterey Bay and Elkhorn Slough; and Restore Coyote Creek.
- October 2014 - Ken Blanton and Ron Colvin gave presentations on kayak and paddle building.
- September 2014 - we had our first ever WSK gear swap.
- August 2014 - Dick Lampman gave an informative presentation on how to gear up and pack a boat for a multi-day trip.
- July 2014 - was our annual WSK Picnic in Foster City with a paddle and a pot luck.
- June 2014 - we had our annual new paddler's meeting with a wealth of information targeted at new paddlers.
- May 2014 - Rick Kitts talked about Tides and Currents.
- April 2014 - Matt Krizan gave a presentation on his Backyard Odyssey down the California Coast.
- March 2014 - Kim Grandfield entertained us with photos and short movies from his travels to the British Isles: Kayaking around Anglesey, Wales and attending the Isle of Man Sea Kayak Symposium Fall 2013.
- February 2014 - we had a presentation by Barbara Kossy on "Paddling in Italy"
- January 2014 - we had a presentation by Dick Ryon on "Paddling Big Sur"
- December 2013 - Holiday Party
- November 2013 - we had a presentation by Galli Basson, Water Trail Planner, San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail.
- October 2013 - we had a presentation by Roger Schumann about various (mostly international) kayaking destinations.
- September 2013 - we had our annual new paddler's meeting with a wealth of information targeted at new paddlers.
- August 2013 - we had a presentation about the Seabird Protection Network.
- July 2013 - was our annual WSK Picnic in Half Moon Bay with paddles and a potluck.
- June 2013 - we had a presentation by Jeff Laxier and Cate Hawthorne on their experiences in paddling the Eel River.
- May 2013 - we had a presentation by Andy Walters on whitewater kayaking and his trip to Chile.
- April 2013 - we had a presentation by WSK member Kim Grandfield on Glacier Bay.
- March 2013 - Sean Morley gave an excellent presentation on Risk Assessment and trip planning.
- February 2013 - we had a presentation from Keith Miller on everything from specific kayak strokes to the state of the industry.
- January 2013 - featured a presentation from the Coast Guard
- December 2012 - Holiday Party
- November 2012 - featured officer elections and a presentation by Mike Edwards on kayaking in Thailand.
- October 2012 - we had a presentation on paddling in the Yucatan.
- September 2012 - we had a presentation by Kim Grandfield about paddling in Greenland
- August 2012 - included an update on the Bay Area Water Trail from Galli Basson and kayak related photos and videos presented by Peter Donohue.
- July 2012 - was our annual WSK Picnic in Half Moon Bay with paddles and a potluck.
- June 2012 - was our annual "new paddlers" meeting with information about boats, gear, clothing, rentals, etc.
- May 2012 - Barbara Kossy spoke about paddling in Bulgaria.
- April 2012 - Roger Schumann talked about paddling in Brazil and other parts of South America.
- March 2012 - featured a presentation by the US Coast Guard.
- February 2012 - featured presentations by Jessie Raeder, Director of Paddle to the Sea, and Karen Carlson of NOAA on "Seabirds in our Sanctuaries".
- January 2012 - Itay Bahar talked about his trip to the Seychelles Islands
- December 2011 - Holiday Party
- November 2011 - featured presentations by Dick Ryon (Bay Access Sojourn) and Anders Landin (paddling the Lost Coast).
- October 2011 - featured a set of presentations by WSK members on local paddling spots.
- September 2011 - included Kim Grandfield describing his paddling adventures in Patagonia.
- August 2011 - featured Andy Walters recounting his kayak trips in the British Isles.
- July 2011 - was our annual WSK Picnic in Half Moon Bay with paddles and a potluck.
- June 2011 - was our annual "new paddlers" meeting with information about boats, gear, clothing, rentals, etc.
- May 2011 - featured Sean Morley talking about paddling the Channel Islands
- April 2011 - featured a presentation by Peter Donohue on his 10 day, 150 mile paddle
down the Columbia Gorge to the Pacific Ocean.
- March 2011 - featured a pictorial retrospective of the year in WSK.
- February 2011 - Mai Maheigan talked about the work that the
National Marine Sanctuary is doing to protect the seabirds and sharing
with us ways in which kayakers can help to keep the colonies safe.
- January 2011 - we had a talk and video presentation by Kim Grandfield, Dick Ryon and Dick Lampman about their paddle through the scenic and wild Kenai Peninsula in Alaska.
- December 2010 - Holiday Party
- November 2010 - featured LaRhee Webster sharing her experience in paddling the Isle of Elba in northern Italy.
- October 2010 - featured Doug Connor talking about kayaking in Honduras.
- September 2010 - featured WSK member Doug McLean talking about paddling in the Channel Islands.
- August 2010 - featured kayaking author Roger Schumann talking about some of his paddles in South America.
- July 2010 - we had our annual WSK picnic at Parkside Aquatic Park in San Mateo.
- June 2010 - featured WSK member Dick Ryon talking about his six week kayaking trip to Glacier Bay.
- May 2010 - was our annual "new paddlers" meeting with information about boats, trips, gear, etc.
- April 2010 - featured videos, pictures and discussion of surf kayaking.
- March 2010 - Bryan Burhardt shared highlights from his recently completed paddling documentary and Jessie Raeder talked about the Tuolumne River Trust's Paddle to the Sea paddle-athon.
- February 2010 - Mai Maheigan and Sage Teajack talked about the work that the National Marine Sanctuary is doing to protect seabirds.
- January 2010 - was a social "Tips, Tricks and Tales" meeting.
- December 2009 - Holiday Party
- November 2009 - featured slides from WSK Members on their trip to
the Queen Charlotte Islands last summer.
- October 2009 - Barbara Kossy talked about Bird Identification of Interest to Kayakers.
- September 2009 - we had a talk on Wood Kayak Construction Techniques presented by WSK boat builders.
- August 2009 - James Martin talked about his book, "Islands of San Francisco Bay."
- July 2009 - we had our annual WSK picnic at Erckenbrack Park on the Foster City Lagoon.
- June 2009 - featured a Bahamas Paddling Slide Show by Kim Grandfield and Steve Harrington and a discussion of paddling opportunities in Israel with Joshua Teitelbaum.
- May 2009 - we had our annual "new paddlers" meeting with information about boats, trips, gear, etc.
- April 2009 - we had a talk by Kenny Howell about the Molokai Challenge.
- March 2009 - we had a presentation on pre-paddle weather assessment by Andy Walters and Ray Carig.
- February 2009 - featured a presentation on the finer points of GPS usage by Cass Kalinski.
- January 2009 - featured a talk by Barb Lundhild about her Fjords of Ellesmere Expedition.
- December 2008 - Holiday Party
- November 2008 - featured a talk by (WSK Member) Anders Linden on his experience and lessons learned in saving a fisherman whose boat capsized near Pillar Point.
- October 2008 - we had a slide presentation by Kim Grandfield on
- September 2008 - we had a presentation about packing your boat
for a week-long expedition and a discussion about night paddling.
- August 2008 - Al Painter from Integrate Fitness (http://www.integratefitness.com) talked about kayak-specific core training.
- July 2008 - We had our annual WSK Picnic at the Foster City Lagoon.
- June 2008 - Tamara Shear from Santa Clara County Parks discussed the current mussel issue, lake closures, boat inspections, and how this will all affect the kayaking community.
- May 2008 - We had our New Paddler Meeting featuring a variety of advice and support for new paddlers and people interested in joining WSK.
- April 2008 - We had a discussion of access issues and a report on the Surf Kayak Festival.
- March 2008 - We had a very informative talk on the history of Surf Kayaking and other related topics by Dennis Judson, the organizer of the Santa Cruz Kayak Surf Festival.
- February 2008 - This month featured a report on "Team Ocean", "Good Gear Gone Bad", and a screening of "Pacific Horizons".
- January 2008 - A social meeting including sharing and discussion of kayaking related New Year's resolutions.
- December 2007 - Holiday Party
- November 2007 - Our November meeting featured a slide show (set to music) of pictures taken by club members.
- October 2007 - Our October meeting was an Oktoberfest themed social meeting.
- September 2007 - Andy Walters spoke on "The many faces of the Colorado".
- August 2007 - Buck Johnson spoke on "what makes a good trip participant".
- July 2007 - We had our annual WSK picnic at Stevens Creek Reservoir.
- June 2007 - Mark Pastaic from Kayak Connection talked about Shared Adventures Day on the Beach.
- May 2007 - During our new paddler meeting, we provided a variety of information useful to new paddlers and people interested in joining WSK.
- April 2007 - The United States Coast Guard joined us to talk about safety,
paddling in the San Francisco Bay and other interesting subjects.
- March 2007 - Mark Sponsler, Mavericks surf forecaster and surf forecaster for stormsurf.com talked about his passion for predicting surf.
- February 2007 - Lisa Emanuelson of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary talked about the Sanctuary and volunteer opportunities.
- January 2007 - Dick Ryon gave a very interesting presentation on his recent
Channel Islands trip.
- December 2006 - Holiday Party
- November 2006 - Our guest speaker was Sara Polgar, NOAA Coastal Management Fellow
2005-2007 for the San Francisco Bay Area Water Trail Project. The water
trail comprises a series of launching and landing sites for human
powered and beachable watercraft. By linking and enhancing existing and
planned access points, a water trail will be established that is
suitable for an enjoyable boating experience on and near San Francisco Bay.
- October 2006 - This was primarily a social meeting starting off with a beer tasting in honor of Oktoberfest. Also discussed were upcoming elections and other club business.
- September 2006 - The guest speaker for the evening was Al Painter. Al is a certified trainer affiliated with the Los Altos Training Studio (http://www.loyolalats.com/). He specializes in joint pain elimination, functional fitness, weight loss and performance improvement. Al's talk included lots of audience participation. Thanks so much for an interesting presentation.